Instructor of Communication
Georgia Highlands College
|Job Description Summary
Full-time instructor position with the potential of leading to tenure-track in a multi-site college in the University System of Georgia. Teaching load is the equivalent of 30 semester hours across fall and spring semesters of the academic year. The faculty member reports to the division dean, and the primary responsibilities are preparing for and delivering instruction as well as providing service to the college and advising. The position is based on a ten-month contract.
Georgia Highlands is a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for the individual selected to grow with us. With a focus on employee wellness and development, the culture is warm and embracing, while the work is fast paced and challenging. Regular full-time staff, administrators, and faculty enjoy the abundant array of University System health, retirement, and other benefits which includes tuition assistance after six months of employment. Additionally, GHC is a qualifying employer under the Department of Education Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF). This program provides student loan repayment and forgiveness for qualifying loans for eligible full-time employees. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.
This is an excellent opportunity to impact the lives of literally thousands of students and their families.
Position requires a master’s degree with a minimum of 18 semester hours or 30 quarter graduate hours in Communication; doctoral degree preferred. Prior teaching experience, which includes the use of current classroom technology, is desired; experience teaching in a two-year college setting is strongly preferred. Applicants should be qualified to teach core communication courses such as Human Communication and Public Speaking. Applicants with experience teaching film aesthetics and/or film history in addition to core communication courses will be given special consideration, but film course experience is not required.
• Teaches 30 credit hours per academic year as assigned (day, evening or weekend) at our Rome and Cartersville campuses, with the understanding that travel to one or more of the Georgia Highlands College locations may be necessary.
• Adopts and implements common course objectives as required by the division and discipline
• Manages courses through systematic use of appropriate syllabi and accurate, professional records of students’ class performance, attendance and grades
• Announces and keeps regular office hours, dedicating 10 hours (or more) per week to assisting students
• Maintains involved and knowledgeable participation in academic advising of students as required by division
• Offers professional assistance in curriculum development, review, and instructional materials selection
• Participates in the extended work of the college through participation in committees of the college or faculty, student organizations, and attends division meetings, full faculty meetings, town hall meetings, in-service training, and graduation
• Engages in functions of evidence-based academic and program assessment, as required for accreditation, college compliance, and continuous review and improvement of student learning outcomes
• Demonstrates meaningful service to the community and to the profession
• Pursues continued professional development in academic discipline, technological applications for the classroom, and innovations and enhancement in teaching and learning
• Performs related duties
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of Board of Regents policies
• Knowledge of University System of Georgia policies
• Knowledge of institutional policies and procedures
• Knowledge of college human resource policies
• Knowledge of course scheduling procedures
• Skill in the preparation of clear and accurate reports
• Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions
• Skill in oral and written communication
|Special Instructions To Applicants
- Attach unofficial transcripts to application
- Official transcripts will be required upon offer of employment
- Also attach a CV and three references
Application deadline will be 04-21-2017. Applications will be screened as received.